Friday, September 11, 2009

Football Season Is Here!

I know this Blog is supposed to be dedicated to hot sauce, but with the NFL season officially here I have to digress for just a moment. If last nights game between the Steelers and Titans is any indication we should be in for another great year of NFL football. I would have expected a little more offense, but with the first game of the season going into O.T. who can complain. As for me, I've been a HUGE San Diego Chargers fan since Fran Tarkenton retired from the league. See, I was born in Minneapolis and my life was all about the Purple People Eaters in the 70's, but when Fran The Man retired in '78 I decided I had to find a new team. The Chargers were it! Ever since the Air Coryell days I've been a rock-solid Chargers fan, which means I've been through more than my share of disappointments. We came close in the '94 season (if you call a 49-26 drubbing in the Super Bowl close), and despite the failed optimism I've had in past years - I really think this could be the Year of the Chargers! Think about it - it's the Chargers 50th Anniversary and as of Tuesday, September 15th they'll be releasing a DVD documentary called "The Complete History of the San Diego Chargers" which was produced by NFL Films ($26.95). The stars are aligned! It's been great seeing L.T. on the field this preseason. A healthy L.T. paired with Darren Sproules will no doubt lead to an explosive running game and should really open up even more opportunities for Jackson, Chambers, Osgood and Gates. There's no doubt in my mind that the absence of Merriman last year had even more impact on the Chargers than Bradys' absence with the Patriots. With Merrimam and company pressuring the quarterback I really expect Cromartie to have the kind of year he did in 2007. The one thing I will miss is watching Rivers and Cutler jaw at each other on the sidelines, but I am glad to have Cutler out of the division. So, let's tie this all together with what this blog is supposed to be about. There's a full slate of great games this Sunday and not one, but two games on Monday night (including Chargers/Raiders) - and NOTHING goes better with football than a cold beer, a bowl of chips and hot sauce and salsa, right? Check out my website "Hot Sauces From A to Z" (www.hotsaucesfromatoz.com) and order some goods. You might not have it in time for this weekends games, but you should have it for Week Two. GO CHARGERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment